Monday, March 30, 2009

Raw Hummus


I made the most amazing Raw Hummus this week. I have eaten it on everything from my favorite raw "bread" to using it as a pate inside a romaine lettuce leaf wrap. As usual, when I went to make the hummus, I didn't have all the necessary ingredients, and there was a blizzard going on outside - and I didn't want to venture out in it to go to the store...so I improvised. =) Below is the recipe as written in the book in which I found it, and under that I have the recipe as I made it.

Raw Hummus
- from The Raw Food Gourmet by Gabrielle Chavez.

8 oz Sprouted Chickpeas
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon tamari
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons water

Blend in bender until creamy.

Wendy's Substitutions:
1 16oz can of organically grown Chickpeas (I haven't ventured into the world of sprouting yet)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon lemon juice
garlic powder to taste
about 2 tablespoons water (didn't measure)
I also added a teaspoon of a green spice, although for the life of me I can't remember if it was oregano or basil or something else. Ooops!

*I was out of fresh or minced garlic and didn't have any tamari. I used a conventional blender, but ended up scooping the mixture out and using a hand blender to mix it thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment