Monday, March 23, 2009

Black Sesame Sunflower Bread with No-Bean Hummus


Pictured to the left - 2 Slices of Black Sesame-Sunflower Bread and 2 tablespoons No-Bean Hummus. I meant for this to be a "snack" at around 4:30ish today...but I got very full from it fast. I was only able to eat one "slice." It is almost 7:00 and I am STILL full. Looks like that was my dinner...I will probably snack on a piece of fruit or some veggies if I get hungry later.


Black Sesame Sunflower Bread

1 cup ground flax seeds (You can grind them yourself or buy them already ground)
1/3 cup whole flax seeds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I use Celtic Sea Salt)
1 minced garlic clove (I use less)
2 table spoon yellow onion (I have onion "issues" so I use a couple dashes of organic onion powder)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (I do 1/4 c. sunflower and 1/4 raw pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup black sesame seeds (I didn't have black, so I just used the blonde ones)
1 1/3 cups water

Mix ground and whole flax seeds, salt, garlic, onion, and water. Add sunflower and sesame seeds and mix well.

Use back of a spoon to spread batter evenly on one dehydrator sheet on tray - dry at 104 degrees F for 4 hours...flip and score the bread into nine slices to make it easy to break in straight lines. (My dehydrator doesn't have a temp control...so I dehydrate for 3-4 hours and then flip it for 2-3 more hours). Dehydrate another hour before serving....serve warm. Make sure to spread it THINK. Remember that when you dehydrate something...it will shrink down 50%. Normally I take it out when it is still chewy, but this time I left it in too long and it was harder, more like a thick cracker...it was good. I like it both ways - adds variety.


I keep mine in a plastic bag in the fridge...keeps well for up to a week.
Delicious bread...I use this recipe all the time now.


Today I ate the bread with:
No-Bean Hummus from the book RAWvolution by Matt Amsden.

Serves 3-4
A think, bean-less raw hummus made with zucchini and raw sesame tahini.
2 zucchini, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup raw tahini
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin

In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until thick and smooth.

*This was my first time making this hummus, so I halved the recipe. I found it a little bit heavy on the garlic...so I might use less next time around.

1 comment: