Saturday, April 18, 2009

Healthy Pizza (not Raw)


Healthy Pizza

While this is not a Raw recipe...it is very good and healthy. This is day two of the April Blizzard of 2009 and I cheated on my Raw diet with this wonderful pizza. I needed something hot and hearty to warm me from the insides. All of the commercials for Pizza on TV got me really craving it...so I made this healthy version. It is a modified version of the "Loaded and Oated Pizza" from the Hungry Girl Cookbook by Lisa Lillien. Enjoy!!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
1/4 cup regular oats (not instant)
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
1/3 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese (I used low fat rather than fat free)
1 tablespoon diced mushrooms
1 tablespoon diced green bell peppers
1 tablespoons onions (I did not use onions)
1/3 cup canned tomato sauce
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
Turkey Pepperoni slices to taste

Optional: salt, black pepper, oregano, additional garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, etc...

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place Oats and Fiber One in a blender or food processor and grind until a bread-crumb like consistency is reached. In a small bowl, combine the "breadcrumb" mixture, egg substitute, and garlic powder. Mix well. (*I added a little onion powder)

Over medium high heat, spoon mixture into a pan sprayed with nonstick spray and smooth into a circular shape. Allow to cook until the bottom is slightly browned (2 minutes) then gently flip. Once both sides are slightly browned, remove crust from the pan and place it on a plate to cool.

Remove pan from heat and respray. Cook diced veggies in teh pan over medium high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Season tomato sauce, to taste, with any of the optional ingredients and mix well. Pour sauce evenly onto oat/cereal crust.

Next evenly top crust - first with cheese and then with the veggies and Turkey Pepperoni's. Place pizza in on aluminum foil directly on the oven rack and cook for 10 minutes.

Makes 1 serving.

Since making the crust for this is really an ordeal...I usually make several pizzas at one time, wrap them in foil and then place them in a freezer bag and freeze them for cooking later....like for today. I just took it out of the fridge and cooked in in the oven for 30 minutes. Yum!! It hit the pizza-craving spot! =)

1 comment:

  1. That looks and sounds yummy!! I can't eat raw. Some things I can, but most I can't.

    ReplyDelete